I was so happy with my dinner last night (and lunch today!) that I just had to share it – my first recipe post in a really long time! And two posts in one day!
It comes from my Honey & Co cookbook. Honey & Co are one of my favourite restaurants in London. I’ve only been once, when James took me for a surprise on my birthday last year, with the cookbook thrown in as well, but we are booked to go again in November and I can’t wait.
The food is Middle Eastern style and ranges from mezze to full dishes to puddings, and from quick and easy to long and slow and complicated. On a Wednesday night, quick and easy is clearly the name of the game!
- Chop up small half an onion and fry it with 3 chopped up cloves of garlic
- After a couple of minutes, add in a tablespoon of ras el hanut. I’ve started to see this spice sold more and more in London, but if you can’t get hold of it, it is made up of a mixture of spices including turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, paprika…. I would say the cumin was probably the strongest in the particular blend I have. The internet is full of recipes for making your own from more accessible spices.
- Add in a teaspoon of salt. Mix it all together until the onions and garlic are coated in the spices, and then dice and add in one big tomato or several small ones.
- Drain a tin of chickpeas and add this to the frying pan.
- Add in 60g couscous and 180ml boiling water. Stir altogether and bring to the boil, before turning off the heat, covering and leaving to stand for 5-10 minutes.
- While the couscous absorbs the water, quickly poach an egg or two.
- Stir lettuce leaves / salad of choice into the couscous/chickpea mixture (avocado works really well here). Spoon it onto the plate and sit the poached egg on top.
- If you’re greedy, like me, mix in a big dollop of hummus.
Perfect!! Vegetarian, healthy, easy, quick, mainly store cupboard ingredients… What’s not to love?! AND I finished off the leftovers for lunch (cold, and without the poached egg). I think this might become a regular dish….
p.s. I have been fiddling around with the layout of my blog a bit today and sorting out the menus – I have menus! And sub-menus! I’m very proud of myself – hopefully it all works! 🙂